The 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting EVENT on Place Names as a Mirror of Political Developments in Modern European Society 1848–2018
The Department of Czech Language at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava,
the Historical Geography Research Centre, Prague,
the Institute of the Czech Language at the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague,
the conference committee, and the local organizing committee have the honor of inviting you to take part in the 2nd Ostrava Onomastic Meeting Event (2. ostravské onomastické setkání; OOME), which will be held in Ostrava, Czech Republic, from April 23 to April 25, 2018. The first OOME conference was held in October 2015, and the book Toponyma – kulturní dědictví a paměť míst (Toponymy – Cultural Heritage and Place Memory, ed. Jaroslav David; abstracts available here was published in September 2016. The first OOME conference in Ostrava focused on place names as a part of cultural heritage and local history, and the success of this event inspired us to organize the second OOME conference, which will be held in 2018.
The conference will take place in Ostrava, a city situated at the crossroads of three countries – Czechia, Slovakia and Poland. It will focus on place names against the background of political developments in modern European (predominantly Central European) society in the period 1848–2018.
- Place names and the concepts of the political/linguistic/religious (etc.) landscape
- Toponymy on state/national/language borders
- Politics as a background of the development of place names
- Place names in the discourse of the period – their reflection in fiction and art, their thematization, the influence of ideology, interpretation, new methods and approaches to place name research
- Commemorative motives in place names – theoretical problems and discussion
- Jaroslav David, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava (Chair)
- Michaela Boháčová, Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University, Brno
- Jaromír Krško, Faculty of Arts, Matej Bel University, Banská Bystrica
- Michal Semian, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague
- Pavel Štěpán, Institute of the Czech Language, Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague
Local organizing committee
- Lenka Krahulcová, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava (Chair)
- Kristýna Bílková, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava
- Tereza Klemensová, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava
- Jana Rausová, Faculty of Arts, University of Ostrava
Guidelines for presentations and registration
The conference language is English. The authors are responsible for the content and language of their papers. Presentations of papers should not exceed 15 minutes; PowerPoint presentations are required.
The deadline for submission of abstracts is November 30, 2017. You will be notified about the acceptance of your paper no later than January 5, 2018. All participants whose presentations are accepted must pay the early-bird fee (payment must be received no later than February 28, 2018) in order to be included in the conference program.
We plan to publish a book containing papers that are accepted for the conference. The deadline for submitting the final versions of your texts is May 30, 2018.
|Early-bird fee (before March 1, 2018)||1700 CZK (approx. 60 EUR)|
|Student early-bird fee (before March 1, 2018)||1200 CZK (approx. 45 EUR)|
|Regular fee (March 1, 2018 - April 10, 2018)||2500 CZK (approx. 90 EUR)|
The payment includes participation in the conference, the publication of the book, conference services, light refreshments during coffee breaks and social events, and a tour of the Lower Vítkovice open-air museum.
To pay the registration fee, please send the exact sum by bank transfer to:
|Account owner:||Ostravská univerzita, Dvořákova 7, 701 03 Ostrava, Czech Republic|
|Tax Identification number:||CZ61988987|
|Bank:||Česká národní banka Ostrava, Nádražní 1078/4, 702 00 Ostrava, Czech Republic|
Please include your surname and the abbreviation OOME in the description of your payment; this will enable us to match the payment with your registration.
Payment is ONLY accepted in CZK.
Please ensure all bank transfer fees are covered by the payer.
|Important dates and deadlines|
|Submission of abstracts||November 30, 2017|
|Acceptance of papers||January 5, 2018|
|Early-bird payment||February 28, 2018|
|Regular fee payment||April 10, 2018|
|Conference dates||April 23-25, 2018|
|Submission of final versions of texts for the book||May 30, 2018|
Zveřejněno / aktualizováno: 07. 09. 2017